Sunday 6 April 2008

Day 4: Mangina and Regina

Okay so that's not exactly what they're called but in my head they are now forever (funnier that way you see) where we actually drove through today was Manginangina en route to Cape Reinga, even typing that I had to think carefully ( and still be corrected).

Was a pretty spectacular location at the northern-most point of New Zealand, where the Tasman Sea and The Pacific Ocean meet in a cacophony of sea and energy, well apart from today, which I was reliably informed by a local was extremely unusual conditions, calm, sunny and between organised tours "you can't get photos of the lighthouse without flipping tourists" er yeah.

Anyway it was worth the 540km return journey for the beautiful vista we were presented with. On the way back we managed a brief stop at the 90 mile beach, which I was saddened to learn is actually about 64miles long, still it was pretty phenomenal and I was extremely jealous of the bastards who didn't have 'terms & conditions' on their vehicles restricting them from driving on beaches. Still watching other cars, coaches and such like hammer it down the beach was pretty impressive.

2 comments :

  1. Semaphore said...

    Ah yes, Mangina. I have "hilarious" photos of my guy friends posing in that particular environs. At least, I used to, I may have deleted them in horror.

    This blog is making me jealous.

  2. smahman said...

    Oh you should have twatted it down the beach anyway. Don't forget to pop in for a (hand)shandy at wankachap.