Tuesday 29 April 2008

Day 26: Glasshouse Mountains to Hervey Bay (via Noosa)

After a fine night in Caloundra it is unfortunately time to move on again. We're on our way to Hervey Bay, but not without first taking in some of the fine sights en route. We set off on the scenic road that takes us high into the mountains up to lookout point. It's a beautiful morning, hot and dry and we're treated to an amazing vista of the different shaped peaks, named by Captain Cook when he first saw them from the sea because he thought they resembled the glasshouse factories of home. Most Aussies will tell you it's a fairly stupid name for them, but stupid or not, they're pretty impressive.

Sadly time and tide press on and so must we, but we continue the scenic drive upto Noosa Heads where we take a few hours for lunch. It's a beautiful little town that hasn't been too spoilt by the neccessity of tourism, the beautiful weather has sent most people in the direction of the beach, even Matt and I treat ourselves to a paddle along the shore, it's pretty much a case of everyone in the water and 'if you've got it flaunt it' or in our cases just 'flaunt it'.

Before we leave we quickly locate some potential properties for our next two nights in Hervey Bay and set on the road again. Matt has taken to the wheel now and I get cracking with the ring rounds. The first place I phone is called the Happy Wanderer Apartments, how can I possibly go wrong? I ring, the phone is picked up, then I have to wait while he clearly deals with someone else and I assume I have the right number "yes mate?" so I start making my speal then I get "ah listen mate can I take your number and call you back?" Fine, no problem, he's a busy man.. "yes it's a UK mobile 00..."
"0 what?"
"0044"
"ah listen mate we don't do that"
I'm not happy and I am wandering what has gone wrong. The story is actually longer but I can't be arsed to go into the depths of how much he annoyed me. Thankfully the next place I called had vacancies and 'Playa Concha, Tiffany speaking' was perfect for what we needed.

A quick pop out to the shops to get food for our next few dinners and it was time to settle in, I'd been feeling a bit under the weather all day and we had to be up early for our pre-booked tour to Fraiser Island the following day.

Tomorrow; desert island dogs.

2 comments :

  1. Unknown said...

    Oh my...they've gone all quiet. Have the been eaten by crocodiles or something...?

  2. Matt said...

    Managed to avoid crocs so far, though there is still some time left, so probably best not get too cocky.