Wednesday 23 April 2008

Day 20: A Tall Tale

So it's Tuesday and it's time to skip back to reality, the last two days of joy in our 6 star (as the barber told me) hotel have come to a close and we relocate from one end of Melbourne's CBD to the opposite, into accommodation that is clearly what we should really be staying in!

Bags relocated and we hit the streets tourist sty-lee, walking down one of the side-streets we spot the Melbourne observation deck and decide to give it a whirl [NOTE: does not actually whirl]. We are whisked up 54 flights of high-rise in a mere 20 seconds, Matt's ears have popped several times, the view at the top is breathtaking, the noisy school children are not. A quick 30 minute nod to the view and we're back on our way.

Yesterday when I popped out to get my haircut (oh yes I ommitted that detail in yesterdays post thinking you wouldn't want to know about that and now here I am having to explain it to continue the entry - damn my time saving entries) I discovered a lovely series of 'lanes' littered with cafes and bars and very 'buzzy'. I think I was particularly drawn due to the lack of light and slightly seedy nature of it (who would have thought!!) but it is clearly one of Melbourne's hot spots. So I pointed this out to Matt - hang on no I told him about it yesterday as it was one of the things he spoke to KD lang's girlfriend about! Oh I am so rubbassssshhhh!!! (Matt would never let me use so many exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!). Scrap this paragraph.

We wandered past the lanes and went to the Melbourne Museum of the Moving Image only to discover it had an exhibition on I'd already seen in London. So we decided to hop on one of the many trams and head down to the designer boutique ridden Chapel Street, we were warned though "you'll know when you've walked down too far" apparently the area get's quite rough, quite rapidly, the taxi driver had also mentioned stabbings in this area, nice.

So a few hours retails therapy and we head back into town with slightly heavier bags and decide to go back up the tower to catch a stunning sunset over the city. A quiet night in for me and Matt heads back to the lanes to enjoy a little culture.

Serve time with us tomorrow...

0 comments :