Sunday 4 May 2008

Day 29: Ragamuffin

Refreshed from my karaoke fix last night I quite literally have a feeling of 'the wind in my sails' today, notice I say 'I' and not 'we' poor Matt was my ever faithful audience. Anyway I was quite excited at the prospect of todays activities, we're leaving Terra firma for the ocean wave - hmm should probably relate to something else, oh well.

Ragamuffin is to be our sailing vessel today, a Maxi yacht emblazed in racing history, I won't bore you with the details here, but do feel free to check them out here:
http://www.maxiaction.com.au/html/rag.html

I'm particularly excited about spending the day on board (and no it's nothing to do with being surrounded by sailors) in the last year in my professional work I've edited a number of sailing programs featuring the Maxi class racing yacht so I felt I knew a little background around the class. They're pretty impressive and as we board we're welcomed by a really friendly crew and the tone for the day is set.

After the standard safety briefing we push away from the quay and we're on our way through the islands to Whitehaven Beach. Once we're out of the shelter of the harbour a good breeze has picked up, about 15 knots, from the shows I know a boat like this needs at least this kind of wind speed just to get going, it's certainly not a racing breeze but it's pretty good for a bunch of land-lubbing tourists such as ourselves.

Onboard I find chatting with some of the other crew and guests a breeze, I spend most of my time chatting to Scott and Marie, a couple from Canada, whilst Matt clings for dear life to the 45 degree angle deck. My dad would be so proud, for the first time in my life I'm really enjoying the sail and I'm barely holding onto anything (there isn't much anyway).

We seem to arrive at the almost empty 7km long beach far too quickly for my liking, but once ashore I'm pleasantly surprised (like so many places we've now been) how much it's like I imagine a paradise beach to be. Matt has also asked me to make mention of the silica sand (what makes them so white) and how it's squeeks under foot, there I think that's covered it!

As we anchor the crew have informed us all that it's 'stinger season' (basically there could be jellyfish) around and we have to wear 'stinger suits' to protect us when in the water. These are basically an all-in-one lycra suit worn over the body, she's still finishing her speech and Matt is already rifling through for his size, I in my modesty have opted not to go in the water and instead walk along the beach taking arty photos and drawing huge great Homer Simpsons in the sand - class.

After provided lunch and avoiding 'the suit', it's back to the boat for our return journey, thankfully just in time to avoid a huge catamaran shipping in literally about 200 people. The wind is still strong for the sail back, but there is also a change in weather fast approaching. I keep looking back over my shoulder to see the sky ever-darkening, ever-closer, I'm reliably informed by the skipper we'll be safely back in port before that catches us and besides the wind is blowing it away from us, my eyes beg to differ.

Sure enough as we turn back in to harbour the rain has caught us and we're drenched, virtually all the other guests have had the good sense to go back down below, but I'm quite happy sat dripping away on the stern (get me with the lingo). A wet coach journey back to the apartment and we're done for the day - well with the exception of a fine meal from Matt and a couple bottles of wine!

Tomorrow: I get that 'sinking' feeling.

0 comments :